Dr. Michael F. Cohen
List of publications
Version 5.0 or later
to view these PDF format documents.
Publications with green marking on the journal name are available
as PDF files. You need "Acrobat Reader" software or equivalent
to download them. If you do not have "Acrobat Reader" click above
to download this free software. Other papers are available as a
reprint request by mail.
"You have requested access to material protected by copyright.
We considered your request as "reprint request" as is common in the scientific community.
When you download a PDF, you agree to download one copy for personal and scientific use only .
Commercial use or duplication is not allowed unless a permission from the copyright owner is granted."
Donation of information by Michael F. Cohen
- Cohen, M.F., Hare, C., Kozlowski, J., McCormick, R.S., Chen, L., Schneider, L., Parish, M., Knight, Z., Nelson, T.A. and Grewell, B.
2013 Wastewater polishing by a channelized macrophyte-dominated wetland and anaerobic digestion of the harvested phytomass.
Journal of Environmental Science and Health 48: 319-330
- Gurung, S., Cohen, M.F., Fukuto, J. and Yamasaki, H. 2012 Polyamine-induced rapid root abscission in Azolla pinnata.
Journal of Amino Acid 2012:Article ID 493209, 9 p.
- Figueiredo, J., Baird, A., Cohen, M.F., Flot, J.-F., Kamiki, T., Meziane, T., Tsuchiya, M. and Yamasaki, H. 2012 Ontogenetic
change in the lipid and fatty acid composition of coral larvae.
Coral Reefs 31: 613-619
- Yamasaki, H., Itoh, R.D., Bouchard, J.N., Dghim, A.A. and Cohen, M.F. 2011 Nitric oxide synthase-like activities in plants.
Annual Plant Reviews 42:103-125.
- Hossaina, K.K., Itoha, R.D., Yoshimuraa, G., Tokudab, G., Okub, H., Cohen, M.F. and Yamasaki, H. 2010 Effects of nitric oxide scavengers on thermoinhibition of seed germination in Arabidopsis thaliana.
Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 57: 222–232
- Cohen, M.F., Lamattina, L. and Yamasaki, H. 2010 Nitric oxide signaling by plant-associated bacteria
In: Nitric oxide in plant physiology. S. Hayat, M. Mori, J. Pichtel and A. Ahmad, Eds. Wiley-Vch, Germany. p. 161-172.
- Mazzola, M., de Bruijn, I., Cohen, M.F. and Raaijmakers, J.M. 2009
Protozoan-induced regulation of cyclic lipopeptide biosynthesis is an effective predation defense mechanism for Pseudomonas fluorescens.
Applied and Evironmental Microbiology 75: 6804–6811
- Mazzola, M., Zhao, Z., Cohen, M. F. and Raaijmakers, J. M. 2007. Cyclic lipopeptide surfactant production by
Pseudomonas fluorescens SS101 is not required for suppression of complex Pythium spp. populations.
Phytopathology 97: 1348-1355.
- Mazzola, M., Brown, J, Izzo, A.D. and Cohen, M. F. 2007. Mechanism of action and efficacy seed
meal-induced pathogen suppression differ in a Brassicaceae species and time-dependent manner.
Phytopathology 97: 454-460.
- Arita, N.O., Cohen, M. F., Tokuda, G. and Yamasaki, H. 2006. Fluorometric detection of nitric
oxide with diaminofluoresceins (DAFs): applications and limitations for plant NO research. In: Nitric Oxide
in Plant Growth, Development and Stress Physiology, Springer Book Series: Plant Cell Monographs. Lamattina,
L., Polacco, J.C., Eds., Springer,
Plant Cell Monographs. 6: 269-280.
- Yamasaki, H. and Cohen, M. F. 2006. NO signal at the crossroads: polyamine-induced nitric oxide
synthesis in plants? Trends in Plant Science 11: 522-524.
- Cohen, M. F. and Mazzola, M. 2006. Effects of Brassica napus seed meal amendment on soil
populations of resident bacteria and Naegleria americana, and the unsuitability of arachidonic acid
as a protozoan-specific marker. Journal of Protozoology Research 16: 16-25.
- Cohen, M. F. and Mazzola, M, 2006. Resident soil bacteria, nitric oxide emission and particle size
modulate the effect of Brassica napus seed meal on disease incited by Rhizoctonia solani and
Plant and Soil 286: 75-86.
- Cohen, M. F., Yamasaki, H. and Mazzola, M. 2006. Nitric oxide research in agriculture: Bridging the
plant and bacterial realms. In: Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Plants:
Toward the improvement of global environment
and food. A.K. Rai and T. Takabe, Eds., Springer Verlag, p. 71-90.
- Mazzola, M., Brown, J., Izzo, A., Abi-Ghanem, R. and Cohen, M. F. 2006. Progress towards development
of biologically-based strategies for the management of apple replant disease.
Phytopathologia Polonica 39: 11-18.
- Cohen, M. F., Yamasaki, H. and Mazzola, M. 2005. Brassica napus seed meal soil amendment modifies
microbial community structure, nitric oxide production and incidence of Rhizoctonia root rot.
Soil Biology and Biochemistry 37: 1215-1227.
- Cohen, M. F., Han, H.Y. and Mazzola, M. 2004. Molecular and physiological comparison of Azospirillum spp.
isolated from Rhizoctonia solani mycelia, wheat rhizosphere and human skin wounds.
Canadian Journal of Microbiology 50: 291-297.
- Cohen, M. F. and Mazzola, M. 2004. A reason to be optimistic about biodiesel: Seed meal as a valuable soil
amendment. Trends in Biotechnology 22: 210-211.
- Cohen, M. F., Yamasaki, H. and Mazzola, M. 2004. Bioremediation of soils by plant-microbe systems.
International Journal of Green Energy 1: 301-312.
- Cohen, M. F., Meziane, T. and Yamasaki, H. 2004. A photocarotenogenesis by a Rhodococcus
isolated from the symbiotic fern Azolla. Endocytobiosis Cell
Research 15: 350-355.
- Cohen, M. F. and Yamasaki, H. 2003. Involvement of nitric oxide synthase in sucrose-enhanced hydrogen
peroxide tolerance of Rhodococcus sp. strain APG1, a plant-colonizing bacterium.
Nitric Oxide 9: 1-9.
- Cohen, M. F., Williams, J. and Yamasaki, H. 2002. Biodegradation of diesel fuel by an Azolla-derived
bacterial consortium. Journal of Environmental Science and Health A37:
- Cohen, M. F., Meziane, T., Tsuchiya, M. and Yamasaki, H. 2002. Feeding deterrence of Azolla in relation
to deoxyanthocyanin and fatty acid composition.
Aquatic Botany 74: 181-187.
- Cohen, M. F., Sakihama, Y., Takagi, Y.C., Ichiba, T. and Yamasaki, H. 2002. Synergistic effect of
deoxyanthocyanins from the symbiotic fern Azolla on hrmA gene induction in the cyanobacterium Nostoc
punctiforme. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 15: 875-882.
- Sakihama, Y., Cohen, M. F., Grace, S.C. and Yamasaki, H. 2002. Plant phenolic antioxidant and prooxidant
activities: phenolics-induced oxidative damage mediated by metals in plants.
Toxicology 177: 67-80.
- Cohen, M. F., Sakihama, Y. and Yamasaki, H. 2001. Roles of plant flavonoids in interactions with microbes:
from protection against pathogens to the mediation of mutualism. Recent Research Developments in
Plant Physiology 2: 157-173.
- Cohen, M. F. and Yamasaki, H. 2000. Flavonoid induced expression of a symbiosis-related gene in the
cyanobacterium Nostoc punctiforme.
Journal of Bacteriology 182: 4644-4646.
- Cohen, M. F., Cai, Y., Wolk, C.P. and Meeks, J.C. 1998. Transposon mutagenesis of heterocyst-forming
filamentous cyanobacteria. Methods in enzymology 297: 3-17.
- Cohen, M. F. and Meeks, J.C. 1997. A hormogonium regulating locus, hrmUA, of the cyanobacterium
Nostoc punctiforme strain ATCC 29133 and its response to an extract of a symbiotic plant partner
Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 10: 280-289.
- Campbell, E.L., Cohen, M. F. and Meeks, J.C. 1997. A polyketide-synthase-like gene is involved in the
synthesis of heterocyst glycolipids in Nostoc punctiforme strain ATCC 29133.
Archives of Microbiology 167: 251-258.
- Campbell, E.L., Hagen, K.D., Cohen, M. F., Summers, M.L. and Meeks, J.C. 1996. The devR gene
product is characteristic of receivers of two-component regulatory systems and is essential for heterocyst development
in the filamentous cyanobacterium Nostoc sp. strain ATCC 29133.
Journal of Bacteriology 178: 2037-2043.
- Cohen, M. F., Wallis, J.G., Campbell, E.L. and Meeks, J.C. 1994. Transposon mutagenesis of Nostoc sp.
strain ATCC 29133, a filamentous cyanobacterium with multiple differentiation alternatives.
Microbiology 140: 3233-3240.
- Mazzola, M., and Cohen, M. F. 2005. Suppression of Rhizoctonia root rot by Streptomyces in
Brassica seed meal-amended soil. pp. 111.1-111.3, In, Proceedings of the Annual International Research
Conference on Methyl Bromide Alternatives and Emissions Reductions. MBAO, Fresno, CA.
Popular Press and Non Peer-Reviewed Professional Publications:
- Cohen, M. F. and Lauria, C. (August 23, 2006) Algae-based fuel: Transforming wastewater into green gold.
The Press Democrat, p. B7.
- Cohen, M. F., Mazzola, M. and Yamasaki, H. 2006. Nitrogen oxidations in plant-bacterium interactions.
Microbe 1: 247.
- Cohen, M. F. 2005. Nitrate and virulence. American Society for
Microbiology News 71: 106.
Comments about the content of these page:
Dr. Michael F. Cohen
by: Juan Pablo Hernandez